University of Houston-Victoria

Title IX and Equal Opportunity

University of Houston-Victoria Title IX and Equal Opportunity

How to Report a Concern or Start a Formal Complaint

Title IX and Equal Opportunity logo with rainbow hand and words

Open other pages of this website by topic area:

About the Title IX and Equal Opportunity Office

The Title IX and Equal Opportunity Office maintains and strengthens an educational, working and living environment where students, faculty, staff and visitors are free from sex discrimination of any kind. The Office processes all inquiries and complaints concerning discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, genetic information and/or veteran status.

The Title IX and Equal Opportunity Coordinator oversees efforts to comply with and implement the University of Houston System Sexual Misconduct Policy and Anti-Discrimination Policy. You can view policy links at the bottom of this page.

The Coordinator investigates administrative reports of sexual misconduct and discrimination. The Coordinator is available to discuss options, provide information about support services, explain policies and procedures as well as deliver training and education initiatives.

How to Report a Concern or Start a Formal Complaint for Title IX (Sexual Misconduct) 

There are multiple ways an individual could seek resources. Generally, there are three levels of reporting at the university level:

General report: By contacting the Title IX & Equal Opportunity Office, you can anonymously or confidentially share a concern. For instance, you may report if you want to:

  • Learn more about policies and whether your experience may make you eligible for services.
  • Have the university offer services to a person you are concerned about.
  • Make the university aware of potentially problematic conduct.
  • Ask for interim measures to support your safety on campus.
  • Request academic accommodations so that your access to education is not affected.
  • Fulfill your obligation as an employee to report sexual misconduct. 

Formal administrative complaints: Formal complaints are required when a person seeks to have an administrative investigation and possible sanction or disciplinary process against a university student or employee.

Police reports: Police reports are handled separately from Title IX reports. Campus police have county-wide jurisdiction to respond to reports as appropriate.

To learn more about the difference between these levels of reporting, see our most frequent reporting questions

Report a Concern:

Complete the Online Report Form or contact the Equal Opportunity Office. You may report in-person, online or by phone, email or regular mail. The Equal Opportunity Office reviews all reports and offers appropriate services to identified parties.

Rebecca Lake is the UHV Senior Director for Equal Access. In that role, she coordinates training and services related to Title IX (sexual misconduct), equal opportunity as well as electronic information resource accessibility. 

Rebecca Lake
Senior Director for Equal Access
Title IX and Equal Opportunity Coordinator
University of Houston-Victoria
3007 N. Ben Wilson St.
University West, Room 116
Victoria, TX 77901
(361) 570-4835 

Formal Complaints:

To file a Title IX Formal Complaint, submit a completed Formal Complaint Questionnaire to the Equal Opportunity Office in person, by email or mail. The Equal Opportunity Office is available to answer questions about policies and the complaint process prior to the filing of a formal complaint.

Police Reports:

In an emergency, dial 911. To file a report with police, contact local law enforcement where the incident occurred or for campus police call (361)570-4357 (361-570-HELP). Campus police may be able to assist you in contacting local law enforcement if the incident occurred outside campus police jurisdiction.

Anonymous Reports:

You may make an anonymous report online at the Fraud & Non-Compliance Hotline or by calling (800)461-9330. However, filing a report without identifying the details of the incident or the reporting party may limit our ability to conduct a thorough investigation. Responsible employees must report to the Title IX Coordinator (employees may submit an anonymous report if they experience discrimination or misconduct personally).

How to Report a Concern or Start a Formal Complaint for Equal Opportunity (Discrimination)

You may contact the Equal Opportunity Office as listed above by phone, email, mail or in-person to report a concern. 

To file a Equal Opportunity Formal Complaint, submit a completed Formal Complaint Questionnaire in person, by email or mail to the Equal Opportunity Office. The Equal Opportunity Office is available to answer questions about policies and the complaint process prior to the filing of a formal complaint.

Non-Discrimination Statement

The policy of UHV is to ensure equal opportunity in all its educational programs and activities, and all terms and conditions of employment without regard to age, race, color, disability, religion, national origin, veteran's status, genetic information, or sex (including pregnancy), except where such a distinction is required by law.  Additionally, UHV prohibits discrimination in all aspects of employment and educational programs on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.  

Any person with inquiries and/or complaints regarding unlawful harassment, discrimination or Title IX (sexual misconduct) may direct questions to Rebecca Lake, Equal Opportunity and Title IX Coordinator (University West 116, (361)570-4835) or to the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights (800)421-3481.  

Students with disabilities needing assistance may contact Cheryl Worley, Manager of Disability Services (University Commons 2108A, (361)570-4287).

Employees with disabilities needing assistance may contact Laura Smith, Director of Human Resources (University West 117, (361)570-4800).

Dissemination Procedure

This Statement may be disseminated through the following:

UHV Website
Student Handbook
UHV Catalog
University Viewbook
New Employee Orientation
Faculty Manual

Legal References

Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended in 1972, Title VI, Title VII
Education Amendments of 1972, Title IX (P.L. 92-318)
Public Law 93-162 (Section 504)
45 CFR, Parts 81, 86 (Federal Register June 4, 1985, August 11, 1975)

Additional Information

University of Houston System Sexual Misconduct Policy.

University of Houston System Anti-Discrimination Policy (or see Anti-Discrimination Policy HTML version).

For further information on notice of non-discrimination and for the address and phone number of the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights office that serves your area, call 1(800) 421-3481 or visit the OCR contact page.