University of Houston-Victoria

International Programs

On Campus Employment for F1 Students

F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work on-campus while attending classes. The work does not need to be related to your field of study. You must maintain legal F-1 or J-1 status while engaging in on-campus employment. J-1 students sponsored by the Unversity of Houston-Victoria (UHV) and should request authorization to work on-campus. 


  • Earn extra $$
  • Work experience looks good on resume
  • Meet new people and make friends
  • Develop communication skills and various other skills
  • Learn to manage your time and juggle many projects at once
  • Recommendation letters and personal references for future employment or education

Definition of On-Campus Employment

  • On-campus employment includes work done as a teaching or research assistant as well as jobs in the university library, dormitory dining facilities, laboratories, and administrative offices.
  • On-campus also includes employment with on-location commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as stores or restaurants located in a University owned buildings (Chich-fil-A, Starbucks)

On-campus Employment Hours:

  • 20 hours per week when the University in session on fall and spring semester.
  • More than 20 hours to upto 40 hours per week during summer months (after spring commencement to day before first class start date for fall), spring break, winter break, thanksgiving break. 
  • Students can work at multiple on-campus locations however student and each respective department managers are responsible to monitor the hours to ensure hours are not exceeded. International Programs will monitor student work hours. 
  • Even though the university is operational duting the summer months, summer is considered as a non-essential semester for F and J students. Students should be able to work on-campus fulltime (40 hours per week) during summer months, however fall course enrollment is encouraged to ensure to be enrolled in the classes the student desires. Fall and Spring course registration can be finalized until the first class start date of each semester. 

Applying for On-Campus Jobs

  • Check with the University Career Center AND/OR
  • Check with individual office and ask for information there AND
  • Be sure to ask about application deadlines or any required meetings.

Tips for Getting a Job

  • Don't be afraid to ask for what you want
  • Have confidence
  • Approach prospective employers
  • Practice answering questions employers might ask
  • Good personal hygiene and appropriate dress

U.S. Taxes

When you get an on-campus job, you will be required to pay tax on your earnings. You may qualify for exemptions if your home country has a tax treaty with the United States. Please work with your employer the UHV Human Resources to ensure you complete the necessary paperwork. International Programs sends out email notifications regarding U.S. taxes as early as October, November, December and January. International Programs hosts mandatory U.S. Tax sessions in the month of March. Check the weekly newsletter for more information.