University of Houston-Victoria

International Programs

Studying in J-1 Status

If you are a J-1 professor or research scholar, you may enroll in classes as long as:

  • The classes are incidental to your primary activity.
  • You continue to pursue the objectives for which you came as stated on your DS-2019.
  • Your program continues to fulfill the objectives of being in the professor or research scholar category.
  • You meet the admissions requirements of the particular program you wish to pursue.
  • You are responsible for the cost of the tuition, fees, and other costs unless noted otherwise.

If enrollment in classes or a degree program becomes your primary objective, J-1 status as a professor or scholar is no longer appropriate, and you may be required to apply for a change of status. In rare cases, a J-1 change of category may be appropriate.