Article XI. Operations and Procedures
Section 1. Attendance
- All SGA Members shall be strongly encouraged to attend and/or required to participate in a majority of SGA activities, functions, and operations.
- All SGA Members will be required to attend official meetings, executive board meetings and judicial meetings sponsored or cosponsored by the Student Government Association, at the request of the Student Body President, SGA Executive Board, and/or a vote of the Senate as they are applicable.
- All SGA Members are required to hold a minimum of 20 hours in the SGA office per semester. Each branch head has the authority to increase the required number of office hours.
- An absentee form must be submitted in advance for any missed meeting or office hour. In the event of an unforeseen emergency, a form must be submitted within 48 hours of the missed event.
Section 2. Rules of Order
- A. The rules contained in the newly revised version of Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern the SGA in all cases in which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws, with University policy, or with any special rules of order the SGA may adopt.
Section 3. Referendums
- A petition containing the signatures of no less than five percent of the total student body shall initiate referendums. The said petition shall be submitted through the presiding President of SGA to a representative from Student Affairs and verified at least two weeks before the regular or special election. The called referendum shall be placed on the next regular or special election ballot. Passage of the called referendum shall be by simple majority. Implementation of the approved referendum shall occur as specified in the referendum.
Section 4. Agendas
- Agendas of the Student Government Association shall be created and prepared by the Speaker of the Senate, and shall be sent to all SGA members a minimum of two (2) hours ahead of a meeting.
Section 5. Minutes
- Minutes of the SGA shall be posted on the University of Houston-Victoria SGA website and JagSync, and distributed to all SGA members within one (1) week following a meeting.
Section 6. Open Meetings
- Open meetings are open to all students of the University of Houston-Victoria community. No official business may be conducted in a closed door session.
- The SGA reserves the right to exclude University administrators, faculty, or staff members and those unaffiliated with UHV in their deliberations of both open and closed door meetings.
Section 7. Installation Meeting
An installation meeting shall be held for the purpose of installing the newly elected SGA within two weeks following the regular election or at the end of year Student Organization and Leadership Banquet. At this meeting, the outgoing President of the SGA shall administer the following oath to the newly elected SGA members:
I, (name), do solemnly affirm that I will faithfully execute the duties and responsibilities entrusted to me by virtue of my position as a member of the University of Houston-Victoria SGA, and will to the best of my ability abide by and enforce the constitution of this organization.
Section 8. Special Meetings
- Special meetings of the SGA may be called by the President of the SGA upon the request of the administration, or at least two members of the SGA. Notice of special meetings shall be given to each member of the SGA at least twenty four hours in advance of the meeting.
Section 9. Quorum
- A quorum is required for the SGA to conduct business. A quorum shall consist of a simple majority of the elected members of SGA.
Section 10. Voting
- All voting on main motions during SGA meetings must be recorded in the minutes as roll call votes. No secret ballots on official business shall be allowed.
- Only elected members of the SGA shall have the privilege of voting on matters brought before the SGA. The advisor(s) and all representatives shall be allowed a voice in SGA matters but not allowed to vote.