Skip to main content
Jaguar Logo

Policies, Standards and Guidelines

Select Language

Distance Education Out-of-State Authority

The U.S. Department of Education (U.S. DoE) released new regulations regarding distance education in October 2010. One of the new regulations focuses on the need for institutions offering distance education to acquire authorization from any state where the institution has currently enrolled students. As the details regarding this regulation continue to be clarified, the University of Houston-Victoria is in the process of gaining authorization from other states.

Depending on the outcome of this authorization, UHV could notify students residing in a particular state that they are not eligible to register for distance education courses. In cases where UHV students are affected by this change, the University of Houston-Victoria will provide assistance to students to resolve this matter.


*NC-SARA membership allows the University of Houston to conduct limited activities in the indicated member states below. Please see the SARA Policies and Standards document for details of specific authorized activities. Please note that the University of Houston is not authorized to conduct internships leading to professional licensure without direct coordination with the licensure board in that state.

The map depicts that UHV is authorized in all states in America except for the state s of California

Complaint Resolution

As part of the process, UHV is required to provide current and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints.

For complaints regarding grades, course requirements and course procedures follow the University of Houston-Victoria Undergraduate or Graduate grievance policies.

If an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint with your state. The Student Grievance Contact Information for Individual States provides phone numbers, e-mail and/or links to state education agencies.

University of Houston-Victoria is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). The SACS site provides complaint procedures against the commission or its accredited institutions.

For questions concerning the complaint process or the new U.S. DOE regulations affecting distance education, please contact or (281) 396-3808.