Master of Education in Special Education


The Faculty and Administration of the College of Education and Health Professions, in response to the challenging year that we have all had, are waiving the GRE requirement for Graduate admissions for the year (Summer, Fall and Spring 2021-22). We recognize that people may still have difficulty finding the resources and locations to take the GRE and wanted to respond to these challenges.

Whether your background is in education or human-services, our fully online M.Ed. in special education will enhance your ability to understand and teach those with disabilities. You’ll learn informal and functional behavior assessment strategies, behavior intervention techniques, programming and transition methods, and the special-education laws that affect the needs of people with disabilities in and outside of school.

Before you get started, you’ll need

  • A bachelor’s degree
  • The prerequisites required by the education college’s admissions policy
  • Access to a computer, webcam, and high-speed Internet as well as basic computer and word-processing skills

Degrees You Can Earn

M.Ed. in Special Education: This 30-hour degree will provide you a solid foundation and effective strategies for working with people with disabilities. The program culminates in the Master Comprehensive Exam.

See a breakdown of the degree plan and requirements.

M.Ed. in Special Education, Applied Behavior Analysis: This 39-hour degree provides a foundation in the history, processes and procedures in special education. Within the context of special education you will further your focus on concepts and applications of principles of applied behavior analysis.

You can become a certified behavior analyst by passing the Board-Certified Behavior Analyst Examination. The certification is independent of UHV, so you will need to meet requirements set by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board in addition to the degree-plan coursework.

See a breakdown of the degree plan and requirements.

M.Ed. in Special Education, Autism Spectrums Disorders: This 36-hour degree provides a foundation of curriculum development and special-education teaching. From this knowledge base, you’ll focus your education further to include the study of autism and developmental disabilities.

See a breakdown of the degree plan and requirements.

M.Ed. in Special Education and Diagnostician Certification: Students seeking certification as an Educational Diagnostician who do not have a Master’s degree can obtain the Master’s of Education in Special Education and take nine additional hours beyond the Master’s degree in order to meet the course requirements for the Educational Diagnostician Certification. Requires six credit hours of course work face to face at the main campus in Victoria or at UHV Katy.
See a breakdown of the degree plan and requirements.

M.Ed. in Special Education, Dyslexia Concentration: This 36 hour program gives students who are interested in the SPED M.Ed. degree an option to include classes focused on dyslexia: identification, assessment, and instructional strategies. 

See a breakdown of degree plan and requirements.

Request Information

Where Can This Degree Take You?

Well, where would you like to go? Special education professionals can be found in many organizations—for example:

  • Public and private schools
  • Department of Education
  • Regional education centers
  • State and local agencies dedicated to meeting the needs of people with disabilities

There’s a lot ahead of you. You can go anywhere and do anything—follow a path or forge a brand new one. It’s all up to you, and we’re here to help prepare you for whatever journey lies ahead.
Visit the Career Development Center to search for internships, apply for jobs, or get help putting together your resume.

Tuition Rates

The estimated cost of attending the University of Houston–Victoria varies with enrollment status and personal lifestyle. Browse our Tuition and Fees page to get an idea of how much it will cost to attend UHV.

Funding Options

To apply for FAFSA and similar external scholarships, visit Financial Aid.

Sound like your direction? Request more information or begin your application.