Reading Specialist Certification Program
A certified reading specialist assists children who struggle with literacy to become confident, independent readers and writers. The fully online Reading Specialist Certification program gives you the knowledge, research, and strategies for success on the TExES #151 exam and in your career postgraduation.
Before you get started, you’ll need
- A master’s degree
- A valid Texas teacher certificate
- A minimum of two years of teaching experience in an accredited school
- To be admitted for graduate study at the School of Education, Health Professions, and Human Development
- Access to a computer, webcam, and high-speed Internet as well as basic computer and word-processing skills
Certifications You Can Earn
Reading Specialist Certification: In order to receive your degree, you’ll have to pass the TExES #151 exam. Your certification coursework will help prepare you for the test. The program consists of 24 semester hours of graduate-level work in the following areas:
- Reading—12 semester hours
- LITY 6360 Theoretical Foundations of New & Traditional Literacies
- LITY 6362 Assessment of Multi-Literacies Learning
- LITY 6333 Foundations of Writing for 21st Century Learning
- LITY 6304 Practicum in Literacy
- Resource—6 semester hours
- LITY 6334 Foundations of Developmental Reading
- CUIN 6332 Education in a Multicultural Society
- Professional education—6 semester hours
- LITY 6363 New and Traditional Literacies Across the Content Areas
- LITY 6331 Instruction for Students with Literacy Difficulties
Other Certification Options
For other reading-teacher options, you can also explore the MEd curriculum and instruction, literacy studies degree and the MEd curriculum and instruction, reading specialist degree.
Or, if you aren’t sure a literacy concentration is for you, check out other curriculum and instruction concentrations.
Where Can This Certification Take You?
Well, where would you like to go? Reading teachers are wanted all over the state of Texas in public and private schools.
There’s a lot ahead of you. You can go anywhere and do anything—follow a path or forge a brand new one. It’s all up to you, and we’re here to help prepare you for whatever journey lies ahead.
Visit the career services department to search for internships, apply for jobs, or get help putting together your resume.
Tuition & Funding
A good education shouldn’t saddle you with insurmountable debt. That’s why, at UHV, affordability and quality go hand in hand. From scholarships to grants to assistantships, we offer an array of options to help you afford your UHV graduate education.
The estimated cost of attending the University of Houston–Victoria varies with enrollment status and personal lifestyle. Browse our Tuition and Fees page to get an idea of how much it will cost to attend UHV.
To apply for FAFSA and similar external scholarships, visit the Office of Financial Aid.