Graduate Certificate Preparation Program – Principal
If you already have a master’s degree, at least two years of teaching experience, and an interest in principal licensure, the Principal Certification Only Plan is for you. In this program, you’ll do only the coursework required to prepare for principalship and the TExES #068 Principal Certification Exam, as opposed to a full master’s degree plan.
Before you get started, you’ll need
- A valid Texas teacher certificate
- A master’s degree from an accredited program
- A minimum of two years of teaching experience in an accredited school
- To be admitted for graduate study at the School of Education, Health Professions and Human Development (must precede the completion of applicable coursework)
- Access to a computer, webcam, and high-speed Internet as well as basic computer and word-processing skills
You Can Earn
Principal Certification: For this certification, you will need to finish an approved administrative practicum experience; complete all of the required coursework designed to comply with State Board for Educator Certification learner-centered proficiencies for the principalship; and pass the TExES #068 Principal Certification Exam.
This certification consists of five classes:
- ELAS 6300 Selected Topics (School Community Relationships)
- ELAS 6315 Principles of Instructional Supervision
- ELAS 6316 Instructional Leadership
- ELAS 6331 Educational Law
- ELAS 6304 Internship in Educational Leadership
During the initial advisement process, your advisor will determine whether you have any knowledge or instructional gaps. If you do, you may be required to take additional coursework.
Other Degree Options
If you’d like to explore more leadership certification options and master’s degrees, visit the MEd education administration program.
Where Can This Degree Take You?
Well, where would you like to go? School principals and other educational leaders are wanted all over the state of Texas in public and private schools.
There’s a lot ahead of you. You can go anywhere and do anything—follow a path or forge a brand new one. It’s all up to you, and we’re here to help prepare you for whatever journey lies ahead.
Visit the career services department to search for internships, apply for jobs, or get help putting together your resume.
Tuition & Funding
A good education shouldn’t saddle you with insurmountable debt. That’s why, at UHV, affordability and quality go hand in hand. From scholarships to grants to assistantships, we offer an array of options to help you afford your UHV graduate education.
The estimated cost of attending the University of Houston–Victoria varies with enrollment status and personal lifestyle. Browse our Tuition and Fees page to get an idea of how much it will cost to attend UHV.
To apply for FAFSA and similar external scholarships, visit the Office of Financial Aid.