University of Houston-Victoria

Disability Services

General Guidelines for Documentation

The Office of Disability Services works with students who have disabilities to ensure equal access to all programs and activities offered at UHV.   It is the student's responsibility to initiate contact with the Office of Disability Services and to provide appropriate documentation.  Eligibility is based on the nature of the impairment and its impact on learning.   A diagnosis of a disorder/condition/syndrome in and of itself does not automatically qualify an individual for academic accommodations.  The documentation must verify the student’s eligibility under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA).  

In order to evaluate the need for accommodations, we will consider all information provided including:

  1. Student’s Self-report - New students will need to complete the Application for Services .  The student is a vital source of information regarding how the impairment limits them in daily life and in their education experience.  The information shared in the application can help to establish disability and the need for reasonable accommodations.
  2. Observation and Interaction - Meet with the Disability Services Manager for an Intake interview, either face to face, or by phone or other electronic means.
  3. Documentation from third party - Documentation from external sources may include documents that reflect education and accommodation history such as a Special Ed IEP or 504 Plan, reports written by educational diagnosticians or licensed specialists in school psychology, and assessments created by medical professionals (psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors, therapists, social workers, medical doctors, optometrists, speech-language pathologists, etc.)  The student may provide disability documentation and accommodation letters from a previous university.  External documentation will vary in its relevance and value depending on the original context, credentials of the evaluator, the level of detail provided, and the comprehensiveness of the narrative. The Disability Services Manager will determine appropriate documentation. UHV Disability Services reserves the right to request additional or more current documentation at the student's expense.

Third party documentation: Medical or evaluation professionals may send a letter of verification for documentation purposes or complete the Documentation of Diagnosis Form (request from Disability Services). The letter must be typed on letterhead, dated, and signed by a qualified professional and include the following information:

  1. Diagnostic statement – include description of how condition was diagnosed, date of original diagnosis, and most recent follow-up evaluation.  Please attach supporting documentation reports.
  2. Description of the severity, expected progression, or stability of the disability, if applicable, including the expected changes over time, information on the cyclical or episodic nature of the disability and any known suspected environmental triggers.
  3. Functional limitations of the disability including major life activities that are affected. Describe how the disability impacts the student’s academic activities and daily living.
  4. List current medications and the effect or possible side effects.
  5. Provider may suggest possible accommodations, assistive technology, and/or support services that may help minimize the impact of the disability in the academic setting.
  6. Name of Evaluator/Diagnosing Professional, title, credentials.

Send all items of documentation directly to the Office of Disability Services, University of Houston-Victoria; 3006 N. Ben Wilson, University Commons, Suite 2108; Victoria, Texas 77901; FAX - 361-580-5504

Disability Services will consider all relevant information provided and all documentation will be reviewed on an individual, case-by-case basis. If you have any questions about these documentation guidelines, please contact the Office of Disability Services at 361-570-4287 or email.