Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Face-to-Face Tutoring/Writing Assistance. Tutoring will be available face-to-face and online through Upswing. Students may schedule a tutoring appointment though Upswing.
Student Success Center Main Number: (361) 570-4288
Student Success Center: Email
Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction
The Student Success Center is a comprehensive resource center for all UHV students including Katy and FastTrack students. We promote student success by working closely with faculty to provide academic support programs. We offer a writing center and a peer education program for students at all levels in addition to supplemental instruction. Our writing and peer education services are delivered face-to-face and online through Upswing in order to meet the demands of our diverse and widespread student population.
Writing Center consultants assist writers on a wide variety of writing projects and at any stage of the writing process. Students can access the writing schedule through Upswing.
The Center also offers subject-area tutoring in mathematics, the sciences, the humanities, and foreign languages. The list of offered subjects varies by semester, so please check the Tutoring page often. Students can either walk in for subject-area tutoring or make appointments ahead of time through Upswing.
UHV offers an online archive of helpful resources for students with specific questions. Our Resources page includes a comprehensive set of guides covering a gamut of writing-related concerns, including grammar, sentence structure, and the writing process. The Resources page also includes guides covering issues related to other subjects such as college algebra and biology.
During sessions with the tutors, individuals may discuss concerns related to courses that are in progress. Unless noted, no appointments are needed for subject-area tutoring. However, students may make appointments ahead of time through Upswing.
Courses We Tutor:
- ACCT 2301: Principles of Financial Accounting
- ACCT2302: Principles of Managerial Accounting
- BIOL 1306: Biology I for Science Majors
- BIOL 1307: Biology II for Science Majors
- BUSI 3303: Business Statistics
- CHEM 1311: General Inorganic Chemistry I
- CHEM 1312: General Inorganic Chemistry II
- CHEM 2323: Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 2325 Organic Chemistry II
- COSC 1301: Technology & Problem Solving
- COSC 1336: Programming Fundamentals I
- COSC 1337: Programming Fundamentals II
- HIST 1301: U.S. History I
- HIST 1302: U.S. History II
- MATH 1314: College Algebra
- MATH 1324: Finite Math
- MATH 1325: Business Calculus
- MATH 2312: Pre-Calculus
- MATH 2413: Calculus I
- MATH 3318: Concepts in Math I
- MATH 3391: Probability & Statistics
- MATH 3395: Statistics for Social Sciences
- PHIL 1301: Intro to Western Philosophy
- PHYS 1301: College Physics I Mechanics
- PSCI 2305: U.S. Government
- PSCI 2306: TX State & Local Government
- SPAN 1301: Elementary Spanish I
- SPAN 1302: Elementary Spanish II
- SPAN 2301: Intermediate Spanish I
- SPAN 2302: Intermediate Spanish II