Skip to main content
University of Houston-Victoria



Student Life and Services

Division of Student Affairs
Jaguar Hall, Suite 1135
2705 Houston Highway, Victoria, Texas 77901

For Student Life and Services questions, telephone:
361-485-4410 or toll-free 877-970-4848 ext. 4410
Fax:  361-580-5506

The Department of Student Life and Services helps students achieve their academic goals and enhance their intellectual and social development through a variety of programs and services.  We promote student leadership, collegiality, and good citizenship.  The department supports the academic mission of UHV, assures the rights of students, and ensures students get the support necessary to be successful at UHV and in their communities.

We contribute to a healthy, safe, and productive academic environment and are responsive to the needs of our diverse student body.  Students are encouraged to contact us with any questions or needs they may have.


The university hosts two commencement ceremonies, one following the spring term and one following the fall term. An application for graduation is to be filed in the Office of the Registrar and Student Records by the published deadlines. Students applying for graduation will be asked to indicate whether or not they will participate in the commencement ceremony. Students who indicate that they will participate at commencement will receive information from the department about caps, gowns, announcements, and information about Graduation day.


Jaguar Hall, Jaguar Suites, and Jaguar Court are located on Houston Highway and are within walking distance of UHV’s main campus.  Computer labs with printers are available in Jaguar Village.  Services available to all UHV students located in Jaguar Village are academic tutoring, Student Life and Services,  group and individual study areas, The 11:59 Lounge, The Snack Shack, Campus Security, residential pool and fitness center, and a dining facility offering a variety of meal options.

Identification Cards

Students living in UHV resident Halls are issued an identification (ID) card, aka the Paw Pass.  This ID card provides access to many resources provided by the university such as dining hall meals, building access at residence halls, use of the library, and can be used for entrance to certain university events such as athletics.  The identification card can also be used in the community for discounts at various participating businesses in the Daily Deals student discount program.

Students are responsible for maintaining a current ID card for the entire duration they are affiliated with the University of Houston-Victoria and are responsible for the safekeeping of their ID card.  Student ID cards and/or replacements can be requested in the Paw Pass office, located in the Jaguar Hall, room 1029. 

Nonresidential students can use their Jaguar Cards as ID cards unless they would like to have a Paw Pass.  If a Paw Pass is desired, students can contact the Paw Pass Office to request one or submit an online application through Jag Sync.

No one other than the student to whom the card is issued may use the ID card for any reason.  The Paw Pass is the property of the University of Houston-Victoria and may be revoked at any time by the university.

Students attending classes online or at the Katy campus are not required to have an ID. These students can obtain an ID by submitting an online application through Jag Sync at Click on the Jag Sync icon from the UHV homepage and sign in using your username and password. Type “Paw Pass” in the search area. Fill out your information on the form. Upload a copy of your State issued ID or Driver’s License. You will need to take a photo for your ID and upload to the form.  Please make sure the photo follows the instructions to ensure acceptance and submit the form upon completion. Further questions or correspondence can be addressed by emailing the Paw Pass office.

Personal Counseling

The University of Houston-Victoria Counseling Center (UCC) offers a broad range of psychological services to all currently enrolled UHV students.  The Center works to empower college students to become capable and competent leaders and professionals at work, at home, and in academia, assuming full responsibility for their own well-being while developing those positive traits that will improve quality of life and relationships for themselves and those around them.  Counseling Center services are thus designed to support, encourage, educate, assist, and empower all scholars in a university setting. The Center supports students as they adjust to the challenges and transitions of university life and helps faculty and staff function more effectively in their work with UHV students.  Through our endeavors, we both support and define the educational mission of the University of Houston-Victoria and facilitate mutual respect and understanding among people of diverse backgrounds by promoting health and wellness as one component enhancing student success and enrollment management.

Currently enrolled UHV students in Victoria can receive services on the Victoria Campus.  Students attending the Katy campus can receive counseling services through our partnership with the University of Texas Health Science Center (UTHealth).    

Student Center

A Student Center is located at Jaguar Hall.  Students can enjoy comfortable seating, vending machines, a game area, ping pong, pool, and large screen television.  Table games and DVDs may be checked out at the Front Desk.  Outdoor seating areas are also available for students’ enjoyment.  A large dining area is available with a variety of food offerings.

UHV students are welcomed at the Victoria College Student Center where the bookstore is located, along with Subway, TV rooms, reading room, meeting rooms and a game area. A convenience store offers a variety of food and beverage items to meet the needs of students, faculty, staff, and visitors.  

Student Conduct

UH-Victoria students must conform to the university’s policies and procedures. Copies of the Student Conduct Code and the Academic Sanctions and Appeals Process are available in the Student Handbook.

Student Discount Program

Students are eligible for discounts at local businesses. A discount program brochure is available in the Department of Student Life and Services located in Jaguar Hall, suite 1135.

Student Handbook

The Student Handbook is intended to convey official university policy and procedures to students at the University of Houston-Victoria. Students should also refer to the UHV catalog, class schedules, or university officials for additional information. The Student Handbook may be accessed online.  Hard copies of the Student Handbook are available in Room 133 in the West Building. 

Student Health Insurance

A hospital, medical and surgical insurance plan is available to all university students at a nominal cost. Information on available insurance plans for domestic and international students can be accessed online.

At University of Houston-Victoria, students or exchange visitors who hold an F1 or J1 visa are required to have hospitalization, medical and surgical insurance which includes a repatriation and evacuation benefit. Cost for this insurance may be added to the fee bill each fall and spring term.  Students enrolled for the spring term are covered through the summer term.  A Health Insurance Waiver Request form is available on the Admissions Forms web page for international students (F1/J1 visa holders only) who have the minimum required coverage through other sources.  Students who begin enrollment in a summer term may purchase a short-term policy for adequate coverage during this period of study before the fall term begins. 

Student Health Services

An online is available at Students can access information about common health problems and learn how to make informed choices about health related issues.

Student Lounges

The Spot is maintained for students on the first floor of the University West building.  A microwave oven, refrigerator, television, magazines, and newspapers are available for use. The 11:59 Lounge is located in Jaguar Hall and is equipped with a pool table, gaming systems, and television.  The Snack Shack is located within the 11:59 Lounge and is open from 8pm-midnight every night.  The Snack Shack sells snacks, drinks, coffee, and more!  Student Lounges are also available at the UHSL and UHSCR campuses.

Student Organizations

Opportunities for the development of leadership skills and for civic engagement are offered to students through participation in recognized university organizations. Students are encouraged to participate in existing service, honor, or professional organizations or start new organizations.  Visit our Student Organizations website for more information on active organizations at  Policies for the recognition and operation of student organizations can be obtained upon request from the Department of Student Life and Services or accessed online at Student Life and Services' student-organizations web page.

Student Government Association

Student government at UH-Victoria exists in the form of the Student Government Association. This governing body's purpose is to promote communications among constituents of UHV, enhance the unique educational environment of UHV, and address specific needs of students in order to provide a voice to and for the student body with respect to academic and cultural matters. The membership is composed of President, Vice-President, Chief Justice, Speaker of the Senate, Director of Public Relations, Director of Finance, eighteen Senator at Large representatives from the Victoria campus, which includes three Freshmen representatives, three Sophomore representatives, three Junior representatives, three Senior representatives, and three Graduate representatives, and one representative from each college. All members are elected each spring by the student body. Additional information can be accessed from the Student Government Association website.

Student Identification Card

Students are issued a student Identification (ID) card, aka the Paw Pass card.  This ID card provides access to many resources provided by and available through the university such as dining hall meals, building access at residence halls, use of library, and can be used for entrance and discounts (when applicable) to certain university events such as athletic events.

Students are responsible for maintaining a current ID card for the entire duration they are affiliated with the University of Houston-Victoria and are responsible for the safekeeping of their ID card.  Currently, replacement cards can be requested in the Student Billing office, located in the University West Building, room 113.  Effective 09/01/15, replacement cards can be requested in the Resident Life office, located in Jaguar Village.

No one other than the student to whom the card is issued may use the ID card for any reason.  The Paw Pass is the property of the University of Houston-Victoria and may be revoked at any time by the university. 

Student Travel

Texas Education Code, Section 51.949, as enacted by the 77th Legislature requires the regulation of certain types of student travel sponsored, supported or sanctioned by the university. UHS System Administrative Policy 03.E.08 establishes the system-wide policy for this type of travel. See UHV policy F-3: Student Travel

Study Areas

In Victoria, there are individual and group study areas in the VC/UHV Library and in Jaguar Hall for students who reside there.