Professor of Marketing
Phone: (361) 827-6225
Office: University North 212C (Victoria)
Dr. Joseph Ben-Ur earned his PhD in 1987 from the University of Illinois. Prior to joining the UHV faculty, he held academic positions at several universities including the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, the University of Alaska and DePaul University.
In addition to marketing, Dr. Ben-Ur has studied economics and information technology. With his background in information technology and marketing, he became one of the initiators of the Technology Special Interest Group of the American Marketing Association.
Dr. Ben-Ur has published in several academic journals including Management Science, Energy Economics, Psychology and Marketing, The European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Business and Society, Journal of International Business and Economics, European Journal of Managemen, and International Journal of Business Research. Additionally, he has presented his research in advertising strategy, global branding, pricing, e-commerce, relationship marketing, and political marketing in the U.S., Europe, and Asia. His work in political marketing includes publications on polling and political marketing strategies. His research highlights the potential that certain marginal differences between voters offer presidential candidates in terms of their support base and communication strategies. Dr. Ben-Ur is senior editor of the Journal of Political Marketing.
Dr. Ben-Ur has served as president of the faculty senate, and of the local chapter of Phi Kappa Phi. He has also contributed to the region by conducting surveys to help advance and promote higher education and community development and by lecturing to business owners on marketing.
Dr. Ben-Ur was also a recipient of the Distinguished Faculty Service Award.
- PhD - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Marketing major, MIS minor, 1987
- MBA - Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 1977
Courses Taught at UHV
- MKTG 3303 - Principles of Marketing
- MKTG 3321 - Selling and Sales Management
- MKTG 4311 - Buyer Behavior
- MKTG 4312 - Promotion Management
- MKTG 4340 - Marketing Management
- MKTG 6300 - Selected Topics in Marketing (Political Marketing)
- MKTG 6352 - Strategic Marketing Management
- MKTG 6371 - Seminar in Consumer Behavior
- MKTG 6376 - Seminar in Advertising
Honors and Achievements
- 2010: Distinguished Service Award in all categories: University, community and profession. - UHV
- 2006: President of the local chapter, Victoria, Texas.
- Phi Kappa Phi