Associate Professor of Economic Development
Phone: (361) 570-4235
Office: University North 212G (Victoria)
Dr. John Kagochi earned a PhD in Applied Economics from Auburn University, Alabama. His primary teaching interests are economic development and business statistics. His research interests are diverse and include international trade and competitiveness, regional economic development, and the role domestic institutions on economic growth.
Prior to joining the UHV faculty, Dr. Kagochi worked as an economic development specialist in Africa. He continues to work as a consultant supporting economic development efforts. In 2004, Dr. Kagochi lent his expertise to a project designed to integrate small and minority producers of goat meat into a larger, active market. More recently, in 2008 he completed a report to the National Wildlife Federation on the economic benefits of planting longleaf pines to restore depleted forests in the Southeastern U.S.
Dr. Kagochi has published articles in several academic journals including Energy Economics, International Journal of Applied Economics, International Journal of Trade and Global Markets,International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis,, International Journal of Consumer Studies, and Journal of African Finance and Economic Development. He is the past production editor of The Southern Business & Economic Journal.
In addition to serving as a discussant and reviewer for professional conferences, Dr. Kagochi has worked closely with the Community Food Bank of Victoria to develop a five-year strategic plan.
As the coordinator of student capstone projects for the Master of Science in Economic Development and Entrepreneurship, Dr. Kagochi continues to be active in promoting the economic well-being of the communities in which his students live and work.
He is a member of the Southern Economics Association and Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society.
In recognition of his scholarly achievements, Dr. Kagochi received the 2012 Partnership Professor Award from the School of Business Administration, UHV.
- PhD - Auburn University, Applied Economics, 2007
- MS - Auburn University, Economics, 2004
- MSc - Tuskegee University, Agricultural and Resource Economics, 2000
Courses Taught at UHV
- BUSI 3303 - Business Statistics
- EDEN 6350 - Introduction to Economic Development and Entrepreneurship
- EDEN 6355 - Economic Development and Entrepreneurial Finance
- EDEN 6356 - Methods in Economic Development
- EDEN 6357 - The Practice of Local Economic Development
- EDEN 6358 - Theory and Practice of Regional Economic Development
- EDEN 6359 - Economic Development and Entrepreneurship Project
Honors and Achievements
- 2012: Received partnership professorship award for outstanding performance in teaching, research, and/or service in 2012 that is awarded by the School of Business Administration, UHV. - UHV School of Business Administration