Professor of Economics and International Business
Phone: (361) 570-4230
Office: University North 212HA (Victoria)
Dr. Farhang Niroomand earned a Ph.D in International Economics from Michigan State University. Before coming to UHV, he served as a Professor of Economics and International Business and the Chair for the Department of Economics and International Business at the University of Southern Mississippi. He was the recipient of USM's Excellence in Teaching Award in 1987 and 1993. He was recognized as the BellSouth Outstanding Faculty Member in 1990 and received the Louis K. Brandt Faculty Publications Award in 1999.
Dr. Niroomand's list of professional accomplishments include his appointment as Executive Secretary-Treasurer of Omicron Delta Epsilon, one of the world's largest academic honor societies. He was also the Project Director for "From Local to Global: The Internationalization of Business in Mississippi," a Title VI-B Grant from the United States Department of Education. In 2008, he was selected for inclusion in the 2008-2009 Princeton Premier Registry.
Dr. Niroomand has published articles in several academic journals, including Economic Development and Cultural Change, Economic Letters, Weltwirtschaftliches Archive, Journal of Economic Studies, Applied Economics, Journal of World Trade, Journal of Developing Areas, International Trade Journal, Journal of Economics and Finance, Competitiveness Review and Journal of Global Business. His extensive knowledge and research in the fields of International Trade and Finance make Dean Niroomand a foremost authority and well-known leader in these industries.
- PhD - Michigan State University, International Economics, 1983
- MA - Michigan State University, Economics, 1977
Courses Taught at UHV
- ECON 2302 - Principles of Microeconomics
Honors and Achievements
- 2008: Recipient of Mississippi World Trade Center's award for International Trade Education - Mississippi World Trade Center
- 2007: Executive Secretary-Treasurer of the International Honor Society in Economics - Omicron Delta Epsilon
- 2007: Named Business Advisory Council (BAC) Professor of Economics and International Business - College of Business
- 2007: Selected for inclusion in Princeton Premier Registry - Princeton Premier Registry
- 2006: Appointed by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce as a Board member of MS DEC - Mississippi District Export Council
- 2006: Vice President & Board Member - Omicron Delta Epsilon
- 2005: Best Paper Award Certificate: Determinants of Income: A Probability Approach - Association of Global Business
- 2005: From Local to Global: The Internationalization of Business in Mississippi - BIE - Title VI-B Grant awarded by the U.S. Dept. of Education
- 2002: Research Associate, Center for Research on International Economics - University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
- 1999: Louis K. Brandt Faculty Research Award - University of Southern Mississippi
- 1994: Excellence in Teaching Award - University of Southern Mississippi
- 1990: BellSouth Outstanding Faculty Award - BellSouth
- 1987: Excellence in Teaching Award - University of Southern Mississippi