Associate Professor of Economics
Phone: (281) 396-3735
Office: UHV at Katy 3-66
Dr. Chien-Ping Chen received his Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Houston. Before coming to UHV, he served as a Lecturer in the Department of Economics at the University of Houston. In his service at UHV, in addition to several Best Paper awards by international conferences, Dr. Chen received the ENRON Teaching Excellence Award in 2005. The government of Taiwan also recognized his contribution to education with the Award of Taiwan Distinguished Teacher in the U.S. in 2009. From 2008 to 2011, he served as the first UHV faculty to lead the Study Abroad program for UHV and took students to Taiwan in three summer sessions, hosted by National Chin-Yi University of Technology and Ming-Chi University of Technology.
Dr. Chen teaches business statistics, managerial economics, economics for managers, and healthcare economics at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. His research interests lie mainly in applied microeconomics related to decision-making of industry regulation and strategic pricing. In addition, he contributes to the literature of technical analysis in finance. Dr. Chen has presented his research at several international conferences of economics and has published in esteemed journals including the Journal of Regulatory Economics, Atlantic Economic Journal, Journal of Global Business, International Journal of Economics and Finance, and International Business and Economics Research Journal. He also consulted with firms in the Houston area, including Houston Lighting & Power (now Reliant Energy) and MGM Marketing, for pricing simulation development and statistical technique application.
He is a member of the American Economic Association, the Western Economic Association International, and the American Society of Health Economists.
- PhD - University of Houston, Economics, 1999
- MA - University of Houston, Economics, 1994
Courses Taught at UHV
- ECON 3305 - Managerial Economics
- ECON 3322 - Intermediate Microeconomics
- ECON 6300 - Selected Topics in Economics
- ECON 6351 - Economics for Managers
- ECON 6361 - Managerial Economics
- HCAD 4354 - Economics for Healthcare
- QMSC 6351 - Statistics and Research Methods
Honors and Achievements
- 2009: TECO 2009 Distinguished Teacher Awards
The Cultural Division of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Houston presented the 2009 Distinguished Teacher Awards to educators who were once the citizens of Taiwan, Republic of China, and who have achiev - Taipei Economic & Cultural Office in Houston
- 2007: Best Paper in Track: E-Commerce and Pricing - ACME Conference
- 2005: Winner of Enron Teaching Excellence Award - University of Houston-Victoria
- 2003: Winner of the Best Peer Review Paper. - 15th Annual Conference of Association for Global Business Conference
- 2002: Nominee of Enron Teaching Excellence - UHV
- 1998: Winner of USAEE Scholarship - 19th USAEE/IAEE Annual North American Conference