Fulfill Accounting CPA Requirements While Earning Your MBA
Accounting CPA Requirements
The combination of an MBA and a CPA license is a powerful duo of credentials that will increase your job prospects in top leadership positions. If you choose the accounting concentration while working towards your MBA, you are at a distinct advantage in your preparations for taking the CPA exam and obtaining your CPA certification. The Strategic MBA with an accounting concentration gives you a highly desirable combination of skills that translates into a competitive advantage for potential career outcomes.
Accounting CPA Exam
The state of Texas administers the CPA exam but students with a BBA in accounting that take the accounting concentration track in the Strategic MBA program will fulfill the CPA exam requirements. Planning for the CPA exam is made easier through our faculty mentorship, our accounting courses, and a tailored degree program that our counselors will assist you in developing.
Accounting CPA Certification
In order to obtain your CPA certificate and license in Texas, you must:
- Hold a baccalaureate or higher degree from a board-recognized United States college or university, or an equivalent degree as determined by board rule from an institution of higher education in another country.
- Complete 150 semester hours or quarter-hour equivalents of college credit.
- Complete 30 semester hours or quarter-hour equivalents of upper level accounting courses from a board-recognized college or university, of which 15 semester hours or quarter-hour equivalents must be in traditional face-to-face courses. Within the coursework two-semester hours of accounting or tax research and analysis are required.
- Complete 24 semester hours or quarter-hour equivalents of upper level related business courses. Within the coursework two-semester hours of accounting or business communications are required. This communications requirement may be satisfied by completion of COMM 3326 at UHV.
- Complete a 3-semester-hour Board-approved ethics course.
By taking a concentration in accounting while earning your Strategic MBA at UHV, you'll be well on your way to earning your CPA certification.
Accounting CPA Courses
All Strategic MBA students must take 9 hours in their accounting concentration. If you are working towards your CPA, you should choose the accounting concentration and take the following courses:
ACCT 6371 Advanced Auditing
ACCT 6374 Seminar in Accounting Ethics (satisfies the Texas board ethics requirement)
To satisfy the research requirement you can choose between:
ACCT 6372 Advanced Studies in Taxation
ACCT 6373 Contemporary Issues in Accounting
ACCT 6376 Tax Research