At the University of Houston-Victoria, students can earn:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Mathematical Science with a concentration in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Mathematics with Secondary Teaching Certification, offered in Victoria and Katy
- MAIS with a concentration in Mathematics
As advancements in science and technology lead to expanding applications of mathematics, graduates with mathematical skills will be very marketable for positions in insurance, business, government, research, pharmaceuticals and mathematics education reform. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the following math-related fields are expected to grow rapidly: actuary, computer science, high-tech research and engineering, operations research, and management science. Want to learn more? Request information on the programs that interest you.
UHV's Mathematics program is designed to meet the needs of the student who:
- intends to teach math on the secondary level
- intends to pursue graduate studies in mathematics or a related area
Your needs and career objectives are a priority at UHV, where small classes ensure that individual attention will be given to progress in learning. At UHV, we know that the way to increase mathematics knowledge is to make its study a positive and rewarding endeavor. UHV offers B.A. or B.S. degrees in mathematics with the following options:
- Mathematics (mathematical theory and applications)
- Double major in mathematics and computer science
- Secondary Teacher Certification
Benefits of majoring in mathematics:
- Demonstrates to employers that you are not afraid of intellectual challenges.
- Provides solid analytical training that enables you to learn what you need on the job.
- Gives you the ability to think logically and quantitatively.
- Makes you able to solve problems that are interesting, exciting and challenging.
- Provides an analytical framework in which to make informed, thoughtful decisions.
- May qualify you not just for one job, but for a whole range of possibilities.
- Gives a virtually guaranteed teaching job, for those inclined toward a teaching profession.
- Can be the stepping-stone for graduate studies in math or other fields such as computers or business.
- Allows you to declare a double-major in mathematics for computer science and complete it in about the same amount of time as a math degree.
- Employers respect Mathematics majors for the thinking skills they have acquired.
Please contact Arts and Sciences for more information.
Contact Your Advisor
Ms. Rocha is available at the Victoria campus for advising. Advisors help students with 45 or more hours via face-to-face, phone, or email. Students with fewer than 45 hours will need to contact a Student Success Coach for advisement. Appointments are required. Please call (361) 570-4201 to schedule an appointment.