Biology Degree Requirements:
The UHV Bachelor of Science in Biology program is designed to prepare undergraduates for a variety of careers in industry or academic laboratories. We also offer coursework that will prepare students for medical/health professional programs and for graduate work in the bio-medical sciences. Our courses focus on three different areas: genetics/ biotechnology, pre-health professional, and plant/environmental. Want to learn more? Request information on the programs that interest you.
Biology careers and job opportunities with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology include:
- Plant Biotechnologist
- Entry level genetic engineer
- Research assistant
- Histopathology technicians
- Physical or respiratory therapist
- Environmental coordinator
- Patent attorney for Biotechnology
- Physician Assistants
- Clinical data specialist
- Secondary science teacher
- Certified nurse assistant
- Medical/technical writer
- Health technologist or technician
The course work provides both job skills in biotechnology and an academic background needed to pursue a masters or doctorate degree in Biotechnology, Genetics, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Marine Ecology, Development Biology, Medical Science, Veterinary Science, Pharmaceutical Science and Environmental Science.
Completion of graduate work can lead to careers ranging from genetic engineering to health care, environmental research, drug development, food processing and university teaching.
In UHV's state-of-the-art DNA to Environmental Laboratories, students can learn skills such as modern molecular techniques and environmental testing, and have the chance to conduct independent research. Highlights listed below:
- Genetic Engineering -- Inheritance, DNA/ RNA
- Biotechnology -- Cloning, bacterial / viral
- Plant Biotechnology-Cloning plant DNA, Genetically Modified Organisms,
- Ecotoxicology -- Analysis environmental Air Quality, Toxic gas, Marine field trips
- Bio-Chemistry -- Enzymology
- Immunohistochemistry -- Processing of biopsy samples, Microscopic slides preparations and staining
- Microbiology -- Tissue culture
- Molecular Biology -- Cellular & Nuclear
- Virtual Experiments -- in vivo vs in vitro
- DNA Thermal Cycler -- PCR (Nobel prize technology)
- Environmental Biology -- Field trips & Water Chemistry
- Student Work Stations -- Computerized and on-line
- Phytochemicals & Health -- Plant extractions, Antioxidant/Prevention/Nutrition
- Animal & Social Behavior
- Autoclaves & Fume Hoods -- Ensuring Safety
- Biological Chamber -- Animal and human tissue culture, Cancer Research & Prevention
- Cell & Molecular -- Recombinant DNA technology
- Premedical / Predental -- Pre-health Professions
Please contact Arts and Sciences for more information.
Contact Your Advisor
Mr. Sanchez is available at the Victoria campus for advising. Advisors help students with 45 or more hours via face-to-face, phone, or email. Students with fewer than 45 hours will need to contact a Student Success Coach for advisement. Appointments are required. Please call (361) 570-4201 to schedule an appointment.