University of Houston-Victoria



Frequently Asked Questions

In light of the situation we all are facing with COVID-19, it is understandable that students and family members will have questions concerning class enrollment and UHV-related business processes. We want to provide this page as a resource to answer some of your more frequently asked questions. If you have any general questions, please send them to Please visit this page frequently, as we will be providing relevant updates to the list of FAQs.

General Information

Q: Is campus still open?
A: At this time, the Victoria campus is open with limited staffing. The University of Houston-Victoria at Katy is closed beginning Wednesday, March 25, through Friday, April 3. Staff with offices at UHV Katy are working from home. We highly encourage all students to adhere to the social distancing guidelines provided by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and Word Health Organization, and to refrain from visiting our locations. You can reach us by email, phone and social media. All UHV classes are being taught online through the end of the spring semester.

Q: Are university-sponsored events canceled?
A: Yes. All student-related activities and athletic events are canceled or postponed for the remainder of the spring semester.

Q: Financial Aid is requesting documents from me. How can I get them to the office?
A: The most effective method of communicating with our office is by email to If you do not have access to a computer or internet, you can mail your documents to 3007 N. Ben Wilson St., Victoria, TX 77901.

Q: Will going from face-to-face classes to online classes affect my financial aid?
A: No. Your financial aid is based on your enrollment status whether the classes are online or face to face.

Q: Is Financial Aid open, and is there anyone available to speak to students?
A: Yes, Financial Aid is open, and there are employees available to assist you. We are temporarily located in the UHV University Center, Room 205. Once we return to our regular location, University West, Room 110, you will be notified by our UHV Marketing & Communications Department.

Information for Incoming Students

Q: My SAT/ACT test date was canceled. What can I do?
A: ACT rescheduled its April national test date to June 13 across the U.S. All students registered for the April 4 test will receive an email from ACT informing them of the postponement and instructions for free rescheduling to June 13 or a future national test date. Students who can’t or don’t want to reschedule may receive a refund of their April registration fee. For more information, please visit the ACT website at

College Board canceled the May 2 SAT and SAT Subject Test administration. Makeup exams for the March 14 administration (scheduled for March 28) also are canceled. Students who registered for May, whose March test centers were closed, or who do not receive March test scores because of irregularities will receive refunds. College Board will provide future additional SAT testing opportunities for students as soon as possible in place of canceled test dates. College Board has not yet canceled the June 6 test date and will continue to assess its status.

Additionally, the March 25 SAT School Day test was postponed. College Board is working with local partners and will share further information about weekday school-based tests for the spring. For more information, please visit the SAT website at

Q: If my high school is closed, what can I do to send in my grades and test scores?
A: If you have any previous or current application materials, we encourage you to submit those electronically or through email at

Q: Are campus tours available?
A: On-campus tours are suspended at this time. We hope to resume campus tours as soon as possible.

Q: How can I reach a recruiter to discuss attending UHV?
A: Even though we are unable to meet with you on campus, we are available through email, text message, social media and ZOOM virtual meetings. To find your recruiter, go to:

Q: Where can I find information that relates to new International students?
A: For the latest updates, please visit

Q: Will UHV be offering classes this summer and fall semesters?
A:  Yes, registration is all online and will continue as normal. Students will be able to view summer and fall courses on April 1, and registration will be begin on April 13. If you are having difficulty registering, please email If there is a hold on your account, please directly contact the office that has issued the hold for more information.

Q: Will I be awarded and disbursed my financial aid for the summer and fall semesters in a timely manner?
A: Yes. We have a plan in place that will allow our office to quickly award and disburse students for the summer and fall semesters.

Q: Is it too late for me to complete my Free Application for Federal Student Aid for aid year 2020-2021?
A: No, it is not too late to complete your FAFSA. You also should complete the UHV Scholarship Application at You must be a current student to complete the form.

Q: Is there still a plan to offer New Student Orientation for incoming freshmen?
A: Yes. Students may choose from the revised orientation sessions:

  • July 10-11
  • July 17-18
  • July 31-Aug. 1

Information for Current Students

Q: Where can I access my online classes?
A: Students can access all online classes through Blackboard Learn.

Q: Will spring commencement ceremonies still take place?
A: In response to concerns about COVID-19, UHV has postponed its May 16 spring commencement ceremonies. The ceremonies will be rescheduled for the summer or fall once local, state and federal restrictions are lifted. An announcement will be made as soon as a new date is determined. Updates will be posted at

Q: Can graduation regalia be returned if the ceremony is canceled?
A: Yes. Herff Jones will refund your purchase of unused regalia up until the original ceremony date. For additional information, please contact 1-800-837-4235.

Q: I currently am a student worker using the work-study program. Now that my classes are online and I plan on moving back to Houston to live with my parents, what should I do about my job?
A: Please contact Financial Aid immediately. If you are no longer available to work, we will contact your employer and have your employment terminated.

Q: Can I still get an official transcript? How do I go about getting one?
A: Yes. Transcript request instructions can be found at

Q: Are the residence halls and dining services still available?
A: Both the residence halls and dining services are available on a limited basis.

Q: Will payment deadlines be pushed back?
A: The installment and tuition loan payment deadlines will remain April 1; however, late payment fees will not be assessed if payment is not made by the due date.

Q: Are payment plans still available?
A: Payment plans for the spring semester are not currently available in myUHV. Students wanting to request the Institutional Loan will need to send an email to Student Billing at so instructions and a form can be sent to the student’s UHV email address. Please note: Students participating in the FastTrak program are not eligible for the Institutional Loan.


Q: Are the residence halls open? 
A: Yes, the UHV residence halls are open.  Residence Life expects to remain open until the end of the spring semester. 

Q: What is the procedure for moving out of the residence halls? 
A: If you are currently on campus, you can begin moving out immediately. You do not need to sign up for a checkout time. If you are away from campus, you will need to sign up for a checkout time slot through the link provided in the email sent on March 17. This process will allow us to monitor and manage the number of students in the residence halls and practice social distancing. When removing your belongings from your residence hall room, you must: 

  • Bring your own packing, moving and cleaning supplies. 
  • Report to the front desk at Jaguar Hall to complete your checkout once you have vacated and cleaned your room. 

There will be no room inspections upon checkout. However, egregious or intentional damages to the room may be charged to the resident. If you have already moved all of your belongings out and do not need to return to campus, please contact housing at to make arrangements for returning your key (if applicable) and getting officially checked out. 

Q: How do I sign up for a checkout time? 
A: Sign up for a checkout time using this form. However, if you are already on campus, you do not need to sign up.  

Q: What are the expectations for cleanliness when I leave my space? Can I check out cleaning supplies? 
A: We ask that you remove all items, trash and belongings. Do your best to clean your space with the supplies you have or supplies you bring with you. We will not be checking out cleaning supplies to limit germ transference from people handling the same objects. 

Q: Do you have carts available to check out? 
A: To limit germ transference, we will not be able to check out moving supplies, carts, etc. Please bring your own packing and moving supplies.  

Q: What are my dining options if I choose to stay on campus? 
A: The dining hall is open. However, Dining Services has changed its service protocols so that all food is handled by employees instead of self-service buffet stations. Food service is available for carry-out only. For information about Dining Services and meal plans, visit 

Q: Will canceling housing mean my meal plan is automatically canceled as well? 
A: Yes. For housing charges and Gold meal plans, the amount of your refund will be prorated for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester based on your move-out date from housing.  

For Red and Block meal plans, your unused balance will be refunded.  Refunds will be credited against your student fee bill within 10 business days and processed in accordance with your refund preference selection. 

Q: What information is available about postal services for residents? 
A: Residents are encouraged to begin forwarding their mail to their preferred destination. For students staying in emergency housing, mail will be routed to another desk, and students will be informed about where to pick it up. 

Q: What if I moved all my belongings out of my room and want to mail my key back? 
A: After you formally have notified the housing department that you have moved out and removed all your items, you can mail your key back to Residence Life following the specifications listed below. Residence Life is not responsible for returned keys that are lost in the mail: 

  • Key must be sent via Certified Mail or FedEx. 
  • Key must be placed in a sturdy envelope that cannot be easily damaged by the key inside. It is recommended that you use a bubble mailer/envelope. 
  • Key must be mailed to: 
    University of Houston-Victoria 
    Residence Life
    2705 Houston Hwy. 
    Victoria, TX 77901 

Q: How are you going to maintain social distancing when so many students are moving out? 
A: We will support social distancing by the checkout schedule we have developed. We encourage all students to practice social distancing during this time on campus. 

Q: If I remain in campus housing, can I come and go as I want? 
A: We encourage residents to practice social distancing and refrain from large gatherings of more than 10 people. We also ask that you have no visitors or overnight guests. 

Q: How do I contact my residence hall front desk if I have questions about housing? 
A: For general questions, contact the main housing office from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at 361-485-4404. 

Q: Will university staff be on campus to help support students in housing? 
A: There will be staff on call to support students and respond to emergencies. 

  • Residence halls will have entrance doors locked 24/7. Residents will be able to access their hall by swiping their Paw Pass. 
  • Our Residence Life staff will operate out of our Jaguar Hall office to support students. Our Jaguar Hall phone number is 361-485-4404. We are working on a virtual option for students who are away from campus and need information.  
  • We will continue to have staff available 24/7 for on-call emergency assistance. If the front desk of your residence hall is closed, please contact our RA on-call phone at 361-485-0569. 
  • No equipment check-outs will be available. 
  • Report maintenance issues through the Maintenance Request link on the Housing portal.  
  • There will not be any residence hall programming. 
  • No guests will be permitted. 

Q: What about damages and refunds? 
A: Once you check out, staff will assess your space for damages. All damages will be billed to your university account. Students who cancel and check out will be provided a refund to their university accounts. All refunds will be processed within 10 business days of checking out. 

Q: Will my financial aid change? 
A: If you have federal financial aid and withdraw from classes prior to March 28, there could be consequences to your current financial aid package. For financial aid recipients who check out from housing and withdraw from all classes, refunds may take slightly longer as the university must comply with federal regulations to calculate your remaining financial aid eligibility. Please contact Financial Aid if your financial aid package will be affected. 

Q: If I have an outstanding conduct case, will I still have to meet with a conduct officer? What happens with my sanctions? 
A: Please contact Michael Wilkinsonsenior director of student services and judicial affairs, at with questions related to conduct. 

Q: How frequently are common areas cleaned? 
A: Our staff is cleaning and disinfecting daily. All high-touch areas – such as door handles, faucet handles, flush handles, elevator buttons and drinking fountains – are disinfected a minimum of two times daily. 

Q: I am receiving an error message on the myHousing Portal. What should I do? 
A: If you are receiving an error message when clicking the myHousing portal that states "I don't have permission to view this page, please use another browser. We are working to resolve this issue. If the error continues, please contact us at 

Q: What are the housing plans for summer and fall? 
A: Residence Life is currently open and plans to remain open for both the summer and fall terms. If you’ve not applied for summer or fall and wish to, please log into your myHousing portal and follow the links to apply.